Sunday, April 27, 2014

Almost lost my 1tb western digital external backup drive

Backing up your work is something that they teach you in computer classes.  You just don't know when something can go wrong.  A backup drive or an online backup system should be a part of your home business operation.

Just yesterday, I was sitting down at the computer and I was ready to get up and go to the bathroom.  I didn't pay attention and one of the cords on my computer was gently around my foot.  I go up and moved towards the door and before I could look back, I heard something crash to the floor.  This has happened a couple of times before, but it was just a usb keyboard.  I was not so lucky this time.  I have one of those 1tb external hard drives that backup my information and it was on the floor.

The western digital 1tb backup looks like a thick book.  I quickly went back over to the computer to see if everything was okay.  The external hard drive had a slight opening at one of the corners.  I immediately noticed that the blue light that is usually one was off.  I really hoped that it would still work.  

I plugged it back into the computer, but it didn't light up.  I thought it might be really over, but then I checked the connection on the western digital external hard drive and it was not fully plugged in.  I pressed the connection in and the blue light turned on.

I went to the microsoft windows xp my computer setting to see if the drive was appearing in the list.  It was there.  The blue light on the 1tb black external hard drive from western digital was on and working.

I clicked to see if the data was still there and it was all good.  Backing up your information is really essential.  You also have to make sure that you are not doing things to complicate your backup strategy.  I had to move the wires out of the way.  This was totally my fault and I have made some adjustments.

Maybe it would be better to start thinking about online backup.  I just like having the external hard drives and the usb memory sticks.  I might even get one of those smaller western digital external hard drives ( mypassport ).  I picked this current hard drive up at one of those black friday sales.  I think I am going to pick up another backup drive this year ( just in case mr clumsy shows up again).

No comments:

Post a Comment